Saturday, October 30, 2010

A charcoal drawing..

I no longer remember the concept of this piece which I did in 2007, but I remember choosing to copy this old photograph I found because I loved the construction of the photograph. This family is obviously trying to portray that they are wealthy and live luxuriously (by the curtain in the background and their clothes), that they are a 'modern', educated and a progressive family (the globe and books are objects chosen to indicate this), and lastly I love how the father is compositionally placed as the top of the hierarchy of people, as though to emphasize that this is all due to his influence... it makes me laugh.


Drawing on such a large scale (its 2m long) was quite challenging.. talk about an intimidating white page. But I really enjoyed working in charcoal, and loved the mood it allowed me to impart on this piece. I also used a little bit of green chalk-pastel so as to get that old photograph look.

No comments:

Post a Comment