Tuesday, September 14, 2010

3rd Year Art

This is some of the work I did in my 3rd year of my Fine Art degree. We had different projects to experience doing different processes.
Self-portrait bust.


This white cement bust was done using a waste-mould process (a once off massive plaster mould). It was an exhausting, yet incredibly satisfying process to sledge-hammer my sculpture out. This was on the Rhodes student exhibition in 2008.


An Unstable Identity




A chair and hatstand titled An Unstable Identity; it appeared in the ABSA L'Atlier exhibition and catalogue in 2009. The feet are moulds of my own tiny size one feet, and thus literally i am somewhat less stable than others on my feet. It caused me to start thinking about my tiny feet as a possible metaphor for an unstable foundation and what happens to what is built on top of something precarious. Can it ever be truly stable?





Another interpretation that someone told me they derived from it is that of the discourse surrounding the instability of the white identity in South Africa. However, this was by no means in my mind at all when I made this piece. But it was the first time I made an artwork subtle enough to have someone else find meanings in it that i wasn't intending and I loved that. That is something I wished to cultivate: an open-ended quality in my works.



This piece was made from CrystaCal and found objects and used a silicon moulding process using Body Double.




1 comment: